Mafia Island is the largest of a small archipelago of islands and atolls and is truly a paradise in the Indian Ocean. It is the southern most of three islands (Pemba & Zanzibar) located off the coast of Tanzania. 25kms from the mainland and 130kms from Dar es Salaam, it is reachable by light aircraft in 35 minutes or 45 minutes from Zanzibar and the Selous Game Reserve.
Today Mafia is known as a beautiful Indian Ocean tropical resort that is famous for deep sea fishing and scuba diving. Aquatic life is abundant and the coral gardens are pristine due to the protection of the Mafia Island Marine Park. The park is located between the Rufiji River delta to the west and the open Indian Ocean to the east. The dual influences of the river and the sea have combined to create a rich and exceptional biodiversity with unique landscapes under the sea and on dry land. It is a unique and perfect destination as part of a safari package or simply a place to unwind and get away from the daily, modern and busy world.
- The warm, colorful waters of the Indian Ocean surrounding Mafia Island provide an ideal location for many sea activities.
- Enjoy some of the best diving and snorkeling there is off the East African coast exploring the many coral reefs that are teaming with tropical marine life.
- There are over 400 species of fish inhabiting the reefs around Mafia.
- The fully equipped dive centre for beginners & experienced divers offers PADI certifications.
- The best months for scuba diving are September to March & snorkeling can be done all year round in the sheltered, calm waters of Chole Bay.